Nature vacations in Noirmoutier
Noirmoutier, always called “the island of mimosas”, will surprise you with its unique landscapes and its breathtaking beaches. The island of Noirmoutier is located in the Vendée. Famous for its marshes, dunes and oak forests, it is ideal for a nature vacation. If you decide to spend a vacation in the open air in the Pays de La Loire.
Sea lovers will not be able to miss the island of Noirmoutier (the peninsula since the construction of the bridge) otherwise called the island of mimosas for the blooming of its trees very early in the year because of its very favorable climate. This arm of the Atlantic Ocean, accessible on foot at low tide, will amaze you with its sumptuous landscapes and endless beaches.
The fisheries on foot are fruitful and delicious of oysters, mussels, cockles and other dishes of the sea. You can also visit the castle of Noirmoutier dating from the IX century or simply stroll along the old port.
Discover the island of Noirmoutier
Take the time to stroll along the seaside in the Bois de la Chaise before visiting the castle of Noirmoutier, the Saint-Philibert abbey and the museum of Traditions. Let yourself be surprised by the astonishing passage of the Gois and the Plantier tower.
Discover the Noirmoutier aquarium, the Gois leisure park, the butterfly island, the Océanile water park and a ride on the Noirmout’ Train.
In Noirmoutier, you will also be able to practice nautical activities and rent equipment for your sailing, windsurfing, stand up paddle, kayak or jet-ski outings, your kitesurfing or sand yacht initiation courses.
You can go to the island of Noirmoutier by car or by bicycle by crossing the bridge (bicycle path) or by taking the passage of the Gois at low tide. Do you prefer the boat? You will find several anchorage points well distributed on the island: port of Herbaudière, port of Morin, Bois de la Chaise…
Must-see activities in Noimourtier
You want to draw up your roadmap before going to Noirmoutier? Overview of the 10 must-do activities during your getaway in Noirmoutier :
- Aquarium Sealand : A fabulous marine space designed for adults and children with more than 200 species to discover on a 200 meters long course.
- Noirmoutier Castle: One of the most beautiful castles in the Vendée region, characterized by its imposing 20-meter high keep.
- Parc de loisirs du Gois (Barbatre) : An amusement park ideal for a day of laughter and emotions with the family with mini-karts, inflatable structures, miniature golf, trampolines and bumper boats.
- Mini-Ville (L’Épine): An amazing miniature village made of traditional houses from different regions of France in scale models.
- Blockhouse R627 (La Guérinière) : One of the blockhouses of the island which was part of the Atlantic Wall.
- Ile du Pilier : A charming little island of 4 hectares located off the port of Herbaudière.
- Passage du Gois: the main attraction of the island, a roadway open to vehicles and pedestrians at low tide.
- National Nature Reserve of the Müllembourg marshes: A protected area of nearly 50 hectares which is essentially salt marshes.
- Discovery of salt farming: the meeting with the salt workers, who will reveal the techniques of production and harvesting of salt, is an authentic, original and unforgettable experience.
- Oyster port of Le Bonhomme: an immersion in another tradition of the island, oyster farming.
A real little piece of paradise
Located in the Bay of Biscay in the Vendée, the island of Noirmoutier is considered by its inhabitants and visitors to be a real little corner of paradise. And for good reason! As soon as you arrive from the famous passage of Gois (the road that connects the continent to the island), nature offers you a permanent spectacle that you should not miss. Between the discovery of the Polder of Sebastopol, the salt marshes, the marshes of Müllembourg and the excursions by bike or on foot, a large choice of activities is offered to you so that you spend an excellent day!